Shelbyville, KY 40065
Criminal Record Search
Shelbyville is a city in Shelby County, Kentucky, United States. It was founded on land donated by William Shannon in 1792 and named for Kentucky's first governor, Issac Shelby. The population was 10,085 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Shelby
County, located in nearly the center of the county.
Located near a route from Louisville to Frankfort, Kentucky, Shelbyville grew to a population of 262 by 1800. For much of its early history, most residents were employed directly in support of the surrounding agriculture-based economy. On August 24, 1864 a group of Confederate soldiers attacked the courthouse, attempting to sieze a cache of weapons there. They were fought off by locals, killing three of the soldiers in the process. The town later supported Union efforts under Gen. John Palmer to track down Confederate guerrillas in surrounding counties.
Following the Civil War, as surrounding agriculture became more profitable, the town expanded faster than it had at any time since the early days, and many large, more ornate buildings were built downtown, especially after a large fire in 1909. The oldest remaining banks were also organized during this time. The late 19th century also saw a public water system, electricity and libraries brought to the town.
Shelbyville was connected by railroad to Anchorage, Kentucky in 1870, which connected them to Louisville and other cities through what would become the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. Interstate 64 was built two miles south in 1960, and helped the area become more industrialized, including three industrial parks on the west side of town. The population increased too, from 4,525 in 1960 to over 10,000 by the year 2000.
Felony and misdemeanor criminal court records.