Cleveland, MS 38732
Criminal Record Search
Cleveland is a city in Bolivar County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 13,841 at the 2000 census.
It is named after President Grover Cleveland.
The town began formation in 1869 as people moved inland from the Mississippi River. The Louisville, New Orleans & Texas Railroad ran through the town and a portion of the railroad remains there today.
Early records show the community was called Fontaine in 1884 and at some point Coleman's Station. Moses W. Coleman built the first home on the bayou in the area. In 1885, it was officially named Sims after Rueben T. Sim, who owned part of the land on which the town stood. The village of Cleveland was chartered on March 25, 1886, and the United States Post Office recognized the town as such on August 5, 1887. It was Sims' son, B.C. Sims, who was responsible for the name change to Cleveland.
It is the home of Delta State University. The city is served by a 5-day a week newspaper called The Bolivar Commercial and a twice-weekly, including Sunday morning, newspaper called The Cleveland News Leader. Cleveland is also home to the Delta Business Journal, the first business publication in the history of the Mississippi Delta; and Delta Magazine, the lifestyle magazine of north west Mississippi and the second largest magazine circulation in the state.
Felony and misdemeanor criminal court records.